Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Washingtonian Magazine Asks DJ Couch: "What Would You Play At Your Wedding"

Questions ask by Kim Foster of Washingtonian Magazine

If it Were up to me and I had clients that had a wide range of music tastes and appreciated various genres and subgenres of music, my approach to creating their music profile would have to be very complimentary. After several music consultations I would put in place a set of songs that are unique to them and are great identifiers as to who they are as not only a couple, but as aficionados of great music. Let’s say that we have established all of that and we have a couple that loves the sounds of such artists as Diana Krall, Nat King Cole, Michael Jackson, Van Morrison, Lady Gaga, Eminem, etc. In other words, if it is good, they want it and with that being said, please note the following:

Bridal Party Entrance

Now That We Found Love by Heavy D & The Boyz

I would go with the instrumental version because it is easy to identify and it has so much energy. It is also a song that is loved by young and old and all in between; it says, we are here to party and you can stop us

Couple's Entrance

September by Earth, Wind & Fire

The beginning of this song has a great place where you can segue from the bridal party to bride and groom. While you are asking everyone to stand and get ready, the song is building up in the background and when I finally announce the bride and groom, the horns compliment the moment perfectly!

First Dance

Let’s Fall In Love by Diana Krall or More by Nat King Cole

I selected these two because when I present these options to clients they go back and forth. These are two great songs that many have never considered because they are unaware of their presence. The lyrics in both songs are simply beautiful

Father/Daughter Dance

I Do Love You by GQ

This should always be a song that Dad sings to his daughter. It is a song that I sing now to my daughter and she just smiles when I sing I sing it to her. So, when that day comes, I know what I am going to dance to with my baby girl.

Mother/Son Dance

Pride & Joy by Marvin Gaye

Once again, this is a song that my mom and my grandmother use to sing to me. It is a song that is upbeat and is universally recognized. It is also defines a mother’s love for her son as well as a father’s love for his son. It also is not used as much as I believe it should. Hopefully, you will think about using this for your wedding as I am sure that everyone, including yourself, will remember your special day.

Cake Cutting Song

Mr. Magic by Grover Washington, Jr.

This is a funky jazz cut that is smooth and identifiable by both young and old. It has a way of segueing from heavy dancing to the bride and groom cutting the cake while still creating the ambiance that they desire and keeping the energy upbeat, hip and cool to finish the evening strong on the dance floor, as the couple desires.

Song to Play During Dinner

Fever by Peggy Lee

Classic! This allows everyone to eat, mingle and chat, but it also, when played after the first course, allows those who want to dance, to get up and enjoy the dance floor as if they were on the set of movie starring Gene Kelley. It is an absolute must play with a client that enjoys all styles and forms of music.

Song to Get Everyone on the Dance Floor

Play That Funky Music by Wild Cherry

It just works! The guitar riff, the bass line and the pure funky/disco sound is so identifiable that it makes you proceed to the dance floor without hesitation. Once again, a song that is enjoyed by all, and I do mean all!

Slow Song

You Send Me by Sam Cooke

A great song that says all that one needs to tell the person they love. It is pure poetry and the music compliments the lyrics so well that 100 years from now when people read this, they will think that it was wrote recently. This song is timeless.

Last Dance

Ever Lasting Love by Natalie Cole

I love this song so much because it says it all, it comes in smooth and you feel the energy from not only the lyrics, but also from the piano. It says to everyone in attendance that the couple is going to have exactly what the title states. You just can’t wrong with this one and you are sure to have everyone leaving the reception thanking you for choosing such great entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment